BioScience Trends. 2015;9(6):407-413. (DOI: 10.5582/bst.2015.01143)

Exclusion criteria for assuring safety of single-incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

Kawaguchi Y, Ishizawa T, Nagata R, Kaneko J, Sakamoto Y, Aoki T, Sugawara Y, Hasegawa K, Kokudo N


Despite increasing popularity of single-incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy (SILC), indication criteria assuring safety of SILC has yet to be established. In the present study, the subjects consisted of 146 consecutive patients undergoing conventional laparoscopic cholecystectomy (CLC) or SILC. SILC was indicated after excluding patients who met following criteria: age > 75 years, obesity, operative scar, cardiopulmonary diseases, acute cholecystitis, choledocholithiasis and abnormal bile duct anatomy. Thirty-four patients were excluded from the SILC candidates (moderate/high-risk CLC group). Among the 112 potential candidates, SILC was indicated for 23 patients (21%, SILC group) and the remaining 89 patients (79%) underwent CLC (low-risk CLC group). In the SILC group, operation time was longer than in the low-risk CLC group (171 [113-286] vs. 126 [72-240] min, p < 0.01), but the periods requiring painkiller was shorter. That led to reduced length of hospital stay compared to low-risk CLC group (2 [2-4] vs. 4 [2-12] days, p < 0.01). Between the low-risk CLC and moderate/high-risk CLC group, operation time was significantly longer and amount of blood loss was larger in the latter group. No complications were encountered in the SILC group. SILC can be indicated safely as far as appropriate criteria is adopted for excluding patients in whom complicated laparoscopic procedures are needed.

KEYWORDS: Conventional multiport laparoscopic cholecystectomy, fluorescence cholangiography, single-incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy

Full Text: